The Gem County sheriff’s office has begun ATV patrols and enforcement of ATV requirements and other Idaho code in the outlying BLM lands and recreational areas.
During our recently started patrols of the county, the following types of violations have been cited for or warnings given:
• ATV or motorcycle registrations, stickers and license plates
• Underage riders without helmets
• People operating ATVs on public roadways without a driver’s license
• Operating ATVs on public roadways without insurance or required equipment
• Varmint hunters without hunting licenses
• Unsafe shooters (Shooters must always be sure of their backstops and safe areas to shoot)
The Department of Fish and Game has all the regulations listed for ages and requirements for hunting licenses and the local Department of Motor Vehicles has pamphlets and requirements for off road vehicles and ATVs.
Also, as for any trip into the woods or desert areas, proper supplies should be on hand. A simple tree down could extend your stay by several days until a roadway might be cleared, or a vehicle or ATV breakdown could leave you stranded several miles away from supplies. Always pack adequate survival supplies for at least a few days, or an overnight stay out in the open.
Please contact the sheriff’s office at 365-3521 with any questions or comments.